The Anderson Group's
Guide to a Welcoming Home.
Home…is there any other word that evokes the same warm feelings and memories? Sight, touch, taste, smell and sound all play together to set the tone of a welcoming and gracious home, no matter the size or market value of your home.
Whether you are preparing your home to sell or just want to make any visitor feel a warm welcome, these ideas will make you feel “right at home”:
Come on In!
- An eye-catching rug, a beautiful piece of art or mirror and warm lighting will set a gracious tone
- A small table with a plant or fresh flowers is an ideal place to collect mail and keys
- Have a stylish place to corral shoes and jackets and a water-proof surface to collect wet shoes and umbrellas
- Keep your entryway as clutter-free as possible to keep good energy flowing in and out of your home
Lighting to Love
- Trading out your switches to dimmers will quickly allow you to set different moods. Lights shining bright for a showing easily transition to create a softer ambiance for family-time or entertaining
- Avoid “cold” white light bulbs that flatter no one; opt for softer, “warmer” choices
- Open drapes and blinds to let in as much natural light as possible
What is That Wonderful Smell?
From pancakes on a weekend morning to your favorite dinner cooking on the stove, it’s the smells of home that we remember the most. It’s easy to fill your home with a welcoming scent:
- First things first - Keep several windows open if weather permits to let in lots of fresh air
- Simmer a pot of water on the stove with a few sticks of cinnamon, citrus peels, crushed mint or rose petals depending on the season; Add your favorite essential oils to distilled water in a spray bottle for a natural room and linen spray
- Turn on some music to fit the mood
- And finally…don’t worry about everything being “perfect”. A comfortable and relaxed home naturally shows off your own welcoming style!